Practice Report - Alfredo D - Thursday, 11/22/2012 (Viewed 8 times)
Standard
Rating: 106

Meditationtime Forum Post

Date:  Posted 5 years before Dec 07, 2017

Alfredo 5 years ago

नमः शिवाय

AM Practice

Practice was good overall and lasted approximately 90 minutes.

Svadhyaya: Almost done with “Meditation Pictorial”, will take up, or continue with “Yoga Sutras”. Also read a few pages from “The Life of the Buddha” by Nanamoli.

Dedication: 15-minute mantra session doing Tratak (eye concentration) on effigy of Lord Shiva using a Maalaa. Practice dedicated to Lord Shiva. This mantra session practice I have done on and off since initiated into it by Swami Jyotirmayananda in the year 2000. I am steadying now in conjunction with the Kundalini yoga.

Breath Infusion: 45 minutes of Bhastrika prânâyâma while doing several asanas. Infusion emphasis was on the lower trunk and the feet. Session was quite strong. Weather in Miami perfect for this practice, cool and crispy.

Meditation: Consisted of 30 minutes with concentration on Naad sound after bringing the concentration slowly to the back of the head. I started the “investigation” into the node(s) of Naad, which today took me a little deeper into it.

Spiritual State of Mind: Sadhana continues to be centered on the following pillars:

1.   Doing as much Bhastrika prânâyâma as possible to affect quick changes on the subtle body, manly towards the goal of celibacy and urdhvaretas.

2.   Controlling thoughts by using Pratipaksha Bhavana (rapidly changing bad thoughts for the thought of God using Brahman-Abhyasa, often using a mantra as the tool), knowing that the mind can only entertain one thought at a time.

3.  Emphasis on the psychology and knowledge of the subtle body.

4. Emphasis on dream recall and lucidity. For this I am implementing certain dietary changes, and for a while will not eat anything after 6 PM.

Dream recall: One dream recalled vividly. It was a sexual encounter. Differently from recent recalled sexual overtures, this was a full-blown sexual encounter with an old flame. I met Maria at the University of Havana when she was 19 and I was 20. She was a gymnast and a beauty and had most attributes that have made Cuban girls famous for their sensuality. We went on a sex rampage that lasted a year. No wonder that my subtle body, yet to be restrained by the practice of Kriya/Kundalini yoga that I am engaged in now, would look for Maria in the subtle realm. By the way, there was no semen emission, at least external.

Note on dreams: It is interesting to note the approach of different yoga teachers or Acharyas to the matter of dreams. For example, Swami Hariharananda Guruji was not into it. At least we were told that dreams were – verbatim – like “when you insert your hand into a garbage can and bring out a banana peel or an empty yogurt container”. I was told that “masters do not dream”. Apparently, Paul Brunton, although a proponent of recalling dreams, also expounded the same “dreamless master” idea.

MiBeloved 5 years ago

Alfredo wrote:

Note on dreams: It is interesting to note the approach of different yoga teachers or Acharyas to the matter of dreams. For example, Swami Hariharananda Guruji was not into it. At least we were told that dreams were – verbatim – like “when you insert your hand into a garbage can and bring out a banana peel or an empty yogurt container”. I was told that “masters do not dream”. Apparently, Paul Brunton, although a proponent of recalling dreams, also expounded the same “dreamless master” idea.

MiBeloved's Response:

Dreams as just mental creations or imaginations are the garbage but first one has to realize that these are transpiring. Many people feel safe after hearing statements like the one of Swami Hariharananda, even though these persons are having dreams but are not aware of having those dreams because they lack the ability to recall the dreams.

If someone has no dreams at all then that is good by Hariharananda’s statement but how does the person actually know that there is no dreams, because a lack of dream recall is common for most people which means that they do have garbage dreams but they have no recall of the same.

It is best to work at your own level and leave these high statements in their place until one’s meditation practice reaches great heights.

First become aware of your dreams. Then see what you can do to stop your psyche from having dreams.

Astral projection activities however are real astral encounters and are not imaginative dreams. There might also be a mix where one experiences astral projection and imaginative dreams all bound into one mental/emotional event.

Astral projection for the purpose of meeting yogis in the astral and taking direction is not a waste of time. In fact that is a sure way to make rapid advancement. Thus if that is regarded as a dream, then that is a desirable dream from which you can derive spiritual progress.

The dreamless concept about masters makes sense if it means that the master is fully conscious in dreams and is not in a dreamy or illusory imaginative state in that condition. This means he does not have dreamy awareness and is as objectively aware on the astral aside as others are only on the material side.

Alfredo 5 years ago

PM Practice

Practice was very good and lasted 50 minutes. In the afternoon, finished “Meditation Pictorial”, and went back to “Yoga Sutras” Vibhuti Pada. Started working again on the translation from Sanskrit of the Tejabindu Upanishad.

Breath Infusion: Consisted of a 30-minute Bhastrika prânâyâma practice in different asanas. Practice was strenuous and strong.

Meditation: Consisted of 20 minutes with strict concentration on Naad sound. Naad sound was blaring from both ears, which has become a common occurrence during the afternoon practice. Tuned to its vortex or axis, that came from the left ear (where the highest pitch is usually detected). I was led into effortlessly concentration (dhyana) for short durations several times.