Love of the Self (Viewed 62 times)
Standard
Rating: 106
Love of the Self
Posted on January 11, 2017

Meditationtime Forum Post

Date:  Posted 3 years before Jan 11, 2017

MiBeloved 3 years ago

Having searched in all directions with the mind, one cannot find anyone anywhere whom one loves more than oneself. In this same way do all beings in all directions love themselves more than anyone else, therefore, one who desires his own welfare should not harm others.

MiBeloved's Response:

This statement is attributed to Lord Buddha in the Mallika Sutta and it was translated by the Master Sayadaw. First of all this is a very strange statement by someone (Buddha) who said that there was no self (anatta/anatma). Or at least we hear that he said that.

However this is a deep statement and goes to the heart of the issue of all relationships we have here and there in the gross and subtle material worlds.

This was taken from a book called Knowing and Seeing by Master Sayadaw. I recommend that everyone who has an interest in Buddha, should read through that book. In fact before you begin speaking anything about Buddhism as if you know something about it, as if you understand it, I would suggest first going through that book in order to remove any misunderstandings you might have.

The presumption given by Buddha in that statement is that we need not go looking on and on to find that person whom we can love even more than we love ourselves because Buddha, as a trustworthy authority, gave us the solution to the problem in that we need to look into ourselves, at ourselves and there we will find the person we are looking for.

So much of spiritual life depends on trust. People say it is faith but faith is an overused word which is worn out. A better word is confidence. Spiritual life depends on confidence in others, in more advanced personalities, to take their word for it, in particular descriptions about things which we have not perceived or attained.

We have not reached the end of our search for that most dear person. When will we get to meeting everyone and keeping a comprehensive tally on all persons we meet so that we can compare the dearness of each of those persons?

The likelihood of getting to the conclusion of the search is nil because right now we have no means of keeping a comprehensive tally. We are not equipped with the span of intelligence to do so. This makes it necessary to have confidence in superior spiritual personalities.

The first part of the statement reads this:

Having searched in all directions with the mind

Why is the phrase, 'with the mind,' mentioned?

Was this an interpretation of Master Sayadaw which he put in based on his own idea?

Did Buddha actually say that?

Let us look at the first line of the Sanskrit:

Sabbā disā anuparigamma cetasā

Lucky for us Master Sayadaw has no motive to use Buddha as his tool to prove or support any thesis. The master is reliable and follows Buddha to a tee.

The Sanskrit terms cetasā means by the mind. There is no way around it.

This is a relief because here we can actually find out from a reliable person what another reliable person said.

In this case how do you search in all directions (disā) with the mind? Do we not search with the senses, with the eyes, with the ears, with the feelings, in fact with the entire body or psyche?

One thing people usually forget is that the Buddha was an accomplished yogin. That means that he did practically everything with the mind, with focus on the nature and use of the mind. He had little concern with the physical body.

Buddha spoke this to practicing student-yogis, his disciples, not to worldly people, not to simplify things to help worldly people. A yogi can actually search in all directions with his mind, provided he reaches a stage of advancement where his mind is unfettered in that way.

First we accept this as a reliable statement from a trustworthy person. Then we make use of this statement, like a lost person in a dessert who is advised by a trusty guide about which direction to go in to find the oasis.

devaPriya Yogini 3 years ago

This is a beautiful truth.

Regardless of Buddha's belief in God or no God...self or no self....

In moments when i fall in love with my beloved self in an honest and unselfish, non narcissistic way, I feel brought to the threshold of God's love.

When I love my self I feel God's love, when I feel God's love, I love my self.  

...and when confidence becomes absolute Trust.

Alfredo 3 years ago

Book has been uploaded into File section for others' perusal or download. Check it out.