Lotus Posture: Is it necessary? (Viewed 43 times)
Standard
Rating: 107
Lotus Posture: Is it necessary?
Posted on March 09, 2018

Meditationtime Forum Post

Date:  Posted 5 years before Mar 09, 2018

MiBeloved 5 years ago

Julie on LinkedIn:

The lotus is a pose I have had trouble with. I strained a ligament in the past, pushing myself too much and I haven't done it again since. It scares me to even try now as my knees can't seem to handle it. I wonder if I can take it slow and learn what the fear is about this pose.

MiBeloved's Response:

The poses which are easy for one person has to do with the type of body that person got in this particular life. It has very little to do with yoga practice or the lack of it. There are many persons who are gymnasts who can do any yoga pose, even the most difficult ones, and these persons have no interest in asana postures or in any other part of the ashtanga yoga process.

There are animals like a cat for instance which can do certain yoga poses even though the creature has no idea about yoga asanas.

The body I got in this life is not based on yoga. It is based on the type of genetic structures which were native to the bodies of my parents. Some postures which were easy for me from day one, were very difficult for my friend and some other postures which were easy for him were difficult for me.

Developing a fear of a posture because of the pain involved in assuming it or because when I did it, I pulled a muscle or did some other damage to my body, is not a particular type of fear. That is ordinary fear like the fear I felt as an infant after I fell down when I stood up and took the first step in the process of learning how to walk.

The idea that fears should not be there is really a theory only. These ideas are more about boosting our self-esteem. The reality is that we cannot eliminate fear totally. We are relative beings dependent on so many other factors besides ourselves for our wellbeing. Anyone in such a situation must have some fears which are either active or latent. The latent ones remain hidden for a time but they will surface sometime in the future for instance at the time when the sun will explode and engulf planet earth or when a giant comet will come which humanity simply cannot control.

===========================

The lotus pose was easy for some ancient yogis because of the genetic structure of their parents who used bodies which could easily adapt such a pose. Other yogis who did gruesome austerities and mastered that pose even though it was difficult initially, had specific motives which caused them to push through pains and even body damage to master the pose.

Humanity is quite capable of pushing itself beyond the limits set up initially by nature, to achieve certain things. If we did not push pass these limits, then many of the members on this forum would not have written negative statements about pushing these limits, because there would be no computers and Internet to use as a medium for expressing these no-pain ideas.

We push limits when we see that we want something badly. Many of us broke away from the traditions of our parents, traditions in which yoga was absent, because we were attracted to yoga. Many who do the lotus posture do it because of being attracted to the images of yoga celebrities like Buddha or Shiva who are illustrated sitting in lotus posture.

===========================

Questions:

Is the lotus posture necessary for meditation?

Can one become enlightened without ever assuming that posture?

If it is necessary then is it worth the pain to push for its proficiency?

If it is not necessary, then why bother to master it especially if my body was designed not to do it?