Hariharananda Base Chakra Target (Viewed 69 times)
Standard
Rating: 107
Hariharananda Base Chakra Target
Posted on March 09, 2018

Meditationtime Forum Post

Date:  Posted 5 years before Mar 09, 2018

MiBeloved 5 years ago

Breath infusion practice this morning was done with a student of Swami Hariharananda. Whenever I work with this student, the Swami is usually there on the astral side, taking things in hand, and directing what should be done and how the focus should be.

The Swami is of the view that the base chakra should be targeted so that this student can make use of the kriya yoga practice which the Swami introduced to him some years ago. This example shows the hazards of teaching yoga. Incidentally, Patanjali did not itemize teaching yoga as part of the process of yoga.

Learning yoga, being student of an accomplished yoga guru is completely different to teaching yoga and being a master in one’s own right. The big danger in teaching is that the teacher may forget that he or she is a student. Then what will happen?

Some people think that there is no self-inflicted harm in teaching and that the teacher actually advances by teaching. What it the truth of the matter?

If the teacher is really concerned about finding a tailored method for the student, it will have to be like remedial training, where the teacher must first discover the student’s level of practice, and slowly move the student up from there. This means that the teacher must for the time being, abandon his or her development and move to the level of the student.

I have an exercise routine which I follow with slight variations from day to day. But this cannot be used by this student. For one thing it is an advanced routine, not only in the physical sense but also on the psychological level.

When practicing with this student, Swami Hariharananda stands over me and insists that I enter into the energy of the student’s psyche and do the practice from in the student’s psyche, moving the student’s energy as we progress through certain postures. Most of these postures I do not use for my individual practice.

Helping a student like this really means foregoing my personal practice and adapting a system which this student needs to use at this stage of his development. What do I gain?

Nothing really, except the compliance as an assistant of Swami Hariharananda.

He feels that this student should focus on the base chakra and do breath infusion postures which allow the student to target that chakra alone. To his mind, this is sufficient at this stage to get the student to do the kriya process which he introduced to the student years ago before the Swami’s became deceased.

The Swami showed me this diagram:

Infusing the base chakra 

Alfredo 5 years ago

Acharya Ji, a few more days only! Don't give up on me yet! Ha, ha.

MiBeloved wrote:

[Some people think that there is no self-inflicted harm in teaching and that the teacher actually advances by teaching. What it the truth of the matter?]

Alfredo's reply:

Not me, I have stated here before that the teacher must come down to the level of the student, and in the process jeopardize his own practice. Not only that, the teacher risks the failure of the student, meaning that in that case he will have to assume the student's negativity (some may say negative karma), a high risk indeed. However, there is nothing without some risk around here.

============================

MiBeloved wrote:

[Helping a student like this really means foregoing my personal practice and adapting a system which this student needs to use at this stage of his development. What do I gain?]

Alfredo's reply:

You gain the deep appreciation of the student. Please do not take this lightly. For advanced that a master is, it is very difficult to disentangle oneself from human interactions that often take us off track the spiritual course, as this past week must have shown you. Remember that you once wrote this student: "as I have told you in past lives, you must heed your yoga gurus". The student took it literally, I hope you were not bluffing.

On the diagram above, it corresponds to Hariharananda's teachings.